15.7 ℃

Travel Documents and Passport Control

All passengers must present valid identification at check-in as well as upon boarding regardless of whether their flight is international or domestic. When flying to a destination outside the Schengen Area, passengers must also go through passport control.

For Estonian domestic flights, acceptable travel documents are ID cards and passports.

For international flights, acceptable travel documents are ID cards (within the EU) and passports.

Pursuant to the Schengen Borders Code, all citizens of third party states must have a valid travel document entitling them to cross the border upon entering the territory of an EU member state. Upon crossing an external border, the travel document must remain valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the member states. The travel documents must have been issued within the last ten years.

Please make sure already upon booking your flight that your travel document is valid and meets the requirements for entry to the destination country. Please find out whether you have to apply for a visa to enter the destination country or the country where you need to change planes for a connecting flight. Further information is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Holders of Estonian Alien’s Passports

When travelling, you must always have with you the alien’s passport as well as a document proving that you have an Estonian residence permit. New alien’s passports no longer have the residence permit sticker, which means that you need to bring your passport as well as your ID card which proves that you have a residence permit.

Passport Control

Passport control must be passed when arriving from or flying to a country outside the Schengen Area (e.g., Egypt, Great Britain, Turkey, Russia, etc.). Passport control is performed by the Police and Border Guard Board.

Starting from 2021, in addition to the usual border control, an automated border control system is in use at Tallinn Airport. The latter can be used by passengers who are citizens of the European Union or Schengen Visa Area countries or holders of a residence permit of the Republic of Estonia, are at least 12 years old and have a valid e-passport.

If used correctly, you can cross the border quickly and conveniently with automatic border control gates.

To use the gates:
• Step on the footprint image.
• Place the passport, document photo facing down, on the scanner.
• Hold your right hand on the passport and look towards the screen.
• Safe travel!

The Schengen Visa Agreement extends the fundamental right of the EU citizens to travel and work freely within the European Union. At present, the Schengen Visa Area forms an area of free movement consisting of 26 European countries, where border control has to be passed only once, when entering the visa area.

Although people are not checked at the Schengen internal borders, a passport or identity card (ID card) must nevertheless be carried along, as the authorities of the Schengen countries have the right to check the documents of people.