Ernest Hemingway has written that in every port in the world, at least one Estonian can be found. This speaks volumes about the nation's enterprising spirit.
- Estonian economy is stable with the lowest public debt in the EU (2004-2016)
- Fitch rating good A+, outlook stable
- GDP growth 2.1% (2016)
- Unemployment is low (6.8% in 2016)
- Estonia is one of the freest economies in the world – 6th out of 180 countries (Index of Economic Freedom 2017)
- Major employers: Eesti Energia, Skype, Playtech, Swedbank, SEB, Ericsson Eesti, Tallink Group, ABB etc.
Estonia is a leading country in the world for start-ups per capita and the birthplace of Skype and e-identity. Transferwise, Grabcad, ZeroTurnaround, Fortumo,Testlio, Pipedrive and Click and Grow are just a few start-up companies already well-known in the world.
Estonia is one of the best new locations in the European Union and worldwide for developing, testing, implementing and supporting ICT services. Additionally, WIFI seems to be a human right in Estonia. Voting online, doing taxes online, E-health services (digital prescriptions etc), mobile parking, e-residency, e-government, e-university, e-school to name a few innovative and widely used e-services in Estonia.
Notable headquarters among others in Tallinn: